Mar 17, 2009

Risk Assessment

Remember back in the army day's where it is every safety officer's job to ensure everyone participating in a physical activity has
  1. been properly hydrated
  2. had 7 hours of uninterrupted rest
  3. no signs of sickness/nausea
  4. no history of vomiting or diarrhea in the past 72 hours
  5. inhalers if asthmatic
Any of the above would have constituted in the participating soldier being withdrawn from physical activity.

I recall as a young officer that it was such a chore to go through these stuff during safety briefing.
I figured the soldiers are all intelligent people, and they would have heard the briefing umpteen times. Nevertheless, I would go through the motion as failure to do so would result in extras for me.

Sometimes, a person will push himself past his physical limit. For whatever reason, be it motivation or just pure stubbornness, one might not give up till his body fails on him.

I've just realised that pushing yourself is one thing. Not being adequately prepared is another.
I've just tried to get some run time before the Gatorade Triathlon this Sunday. Having not enough sleep for 2 days running has taken its toll. I couldn't even complete 3km and already I felt a massive pumping of blood in my jugular. Seriously, it was a weird feeling. I've never felt that before, and that's when I stopped.

I might sound like a pussy for not pushing myself, but I definitely lived to see another day.
There's always another time to train.
Life is too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment