Aug 21, 2009

Photocopier

Just completed the financial layout page for Blair's project. Dang.. took me almost half a day. I hate inDesign. Ok maybe hate is too strong a word. I dislike how inDesign doesn't allow you to edit images like photoshop and they don't allow layer transparency. It was really irritating finding a way around the transparency thing. Well maybe there is a way, but until I find out I guess I'll just be doing extra work the hard way.

Anyway, I've realised that the current bunch of projects in Uni have brought out a certain "advertiser" in me. I enjoy advertising and marketing an object. Packaging it in a unique and special way. Maybe it's too soon to tell, but that is definitely an option for the future.

Kevin, if you're reading, leave Singapore! Haha. Ok I'm not a deserter, neither am I a traitor, and quite frankly, I've sworn before the flag that I would "dedicate my life to Singapore". But yeah, think about it. Singapore is so oversaturated with designer-wannabes. And I'm not saying that I'm even qualified to comment, but not half of them are even worth looking at. Consider, if it is within your means, an education outside of Singapore. Somewhere where you are not judged only on the outcome, but also your potential. The market is full of repeated designs, especially in Singapore, where people will take a liking to something, and mass produce. I'm sure you've encountered these clients - with a predetermined outcome in their mind, changing and changing to make the outcome suit their mental product. A brief should be interpreted by the designer. It shouldn't be something that explicitly tells you step 1 through to the end. A secondary school kid can do that. What you want to seperate yourself with from the masses is your ability to interpret the brief to produce something fresh and creative.

Verbal diarrheoa rant... haha. But yeah I guess I'm just very passionate about the state of design in Singapore. It's no longer a creative place, it's a photocopy machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment